CUCAS - China's University and College Admission System
Beijing, China
+86 (0)10 82865135
Bangor College of CSUFT

Apply Now, Get Admission Letter in 2 Weeks, Accommodation Guaranteed.


Bangor College of CSUFT – Changsha, China

Apply for a Chinese Visa

Freshmen Guide

Students who intend to study in China need to apply for a visa. Foreign students studying in China are required to hold an ordinary passport and either a Study visa (X1-visa) (study period of more than 180days) or a Study visa (X2-visa) (study period of 180 days less).

Types of Chinese Visa

Visa Type

Visa Explanation

Apply Residence Permit

X1 Visa

study period of more than 180 days


X2 Visa

study period of 180 days less

No Need

X visa
Students with an X1 visa who plan to stay in China for more than half a year must obtain the Residence Permit within 30 days of entry in China. Those who exceed this time limit are considered illegal residents. A physical examination is required when applying for the Residence Permit.

X2 visa
Students with an X2 visa are not required to hold a residence permit. “Intended days of stay” in the visa decides their days of stay in China.

You should prepare these documents before submission of visa application:
1. Basic Documents

(1) Passport
Original passport with at least six months of remaining validity and blank visa pages, and a photocopy of the passport’s data page and the photo page if it is separate.

(2) Visa Application Form and Photo
One completed Visa Application Form with a recently-taken color passport photo (bare-head, full face) against a light background attached

(3) Proof of legal stay or residence status (applicable to those not applying for the visa in their country of citizenship)
If you are not applying for the visa in the country of your citizenship, you must provide the original and photocopy of your valid certificates or visa of stay, residence, employment or student status, or other valid certificates of legal staying provided by the relevant authorities of the country where you are currently staying.

(4) Photocopy of previous Chinese passports or previous Chinese visas (applicable to foreign citizens those who were Chinese citizens and have obtained foreign citizenship)
If you are applying for a Chinese visa for the first time, you should provide your previous Chinese passport held and a photocopy of its data page.
If you have obtained Chinese visas before and want to apply for a Chinese visa with a renewed foreign passport that does not contain any Chinese visa, you should present the photocopy of the previous passport’s data page and the photo page if it is separate, as well as the previous Chinese visa page. (If your name on the current passport differs from that on the previous one, you must provide an official document of name change.)

2. Supporting Documents
X1 Visa

(1) Original and photocopy of the Admission Letter issued by a school or other entities in China.
(2) Original and photocopy of “Visa Application for Study in China” (Form JW201 or Form JW202).We kindly remind you that:
Holders of X1 Visa shall, within 30 days from the date of their entry, apply to the exit/entry administrations of public security organs under local people’s governments at or above the county level in the proposed places of residence for foreigners’ residence permits.

X2 Visa
Original and photocopy of Admission Notice issued by a school or other entities in C

Changes in Visa & Residence Permit Application